16.5.14

NIRVANA ON FRIDAY - ENLIGHTENMENT SMELLS WAY BETTER THAN TEEN SPIRIT!





Nirvana - the imperturbable stillness of mind after the fires of desire, aversion and delusion have been finally extinguished. 

Friday is the day of the week that I get stuff done and tick a multitude of items off my ever-growing to-do-list. Funnily enough it is also usually a day that I feel the most connected, present and mindful, irrespective of what the day may have in store for me. This desire to remain present and to live fully in the moment has stemmed from my introduction to the teachings of the vietnamese born Buddhist monk, Thîch Nhât Hahn through the book 'You are Here'. I would really recommend this book as it was an important wake-up for me to remember to be considerate and mindful as we only live once and we are all here together. Please excuse the impending irony of my material consumption in the face of a spiritual release from materialism but when I saw this new Elizabeth and James fragrance called 'Nirvana Black' in Sephora the other day, it seemed very fitting. The scent won me over as it is not too sweet but not too masculine with the perfect amount of smokiness. Nirvana Black is more of a winter fragrance in my mind but that's not going to stop me from spritzing it all summer long!      

 Another element of my renewed zest for life has come in the form of a desire to balance myself nutritionally and as such this morning's craving for a healthy power smoothie came as no surprise. 
My go-to smoothie of the minute consists of the following:

- Maca powder (for fertility) - I use the HealthForce MacaPower (here)
-Berries (for chemoprotective and antioxidant benefits as well and the prevention of macular degeneration)
-Spinach (for flavonoids, which protect against free radicals)
 -Watermelon (as it is the greatest natural source of Lycopene, an antioxidant that promotes heart health.) Watermelon, due to its high water content - 90% water - is also great for fighting off dehydration during this intense Los Angeles heat wave.  

"Nirvana is the Ultimate Truth. If it is ultimate there can be nothing after it. If there is anything after Nirvana, then that will be the Ultimate Truth." (Rahula, p.40)   

1 comment:

  1. The smoothies looks delicious!
    xx


    www.bohemianjourneys.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig